Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big Day!

Friends, if you're local you may already know, but if you're not, I'll tell you my fun new thing.  Finally, after years and years of thinking of ideas for starting a business, I have finally actually done it.  I usually think of some idea, but then (as I explained before) someone else has already done it and it's way too late, or I don't want to invest the time/money to get it going, or I just realize that I'm not interested in doing the actual thing that I've come up with (like I have this idea that you could be a personal assistant for a bunch of different people for just a few hours a week each, because I need that kind of help, but I couldn't actually run that type of business).  Anyway, my new biz is called "dinners on the porch," and basically I just make dinner and then take it to whomever wants one.  You can check it out at www.dinnersontheporch.blogspot.com, right next door, blog-ishly speaking.  (The name is supposed to convey that your dinner is actually waiting for you on the porch, but also the rare treat of a relaxing dinner outdoors, maybe with cocktails.  What do you think?)  Anyway, today was the first delivery, and it was so fun!  I kept waiting for some nightmarish scenario to unfold - guacamole all over the inside of the car, or Ruby somehow getting into the enchiladas and eating them/smearing them all over the house, but none of that happened.  It went, basically, according to plan.  Shocking.
Anyway, as Matt suggested, I could be making more money crafting coffee drinks at Starbucks, but it wouldn't be so much fun and, plus, the uniform.  I've done my time in jobs requiring uniforms (frozen yogurt server, waitress, camp counselor, etc), and I think I'm done with that.
At the moment, I'm drinking a very strong gin & tonic and trying to ignore that the rest of the house is total chaos (since I let the kids run wild while I made all these enchilada dinners!).  It's working ...

6 comments:

  1. That is the cutest name! It sounds like a great idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! I just checked it out... I wish I lived closer! But I have two friends in Ardmore so I'll pass the info along!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna need to know EXACTLY where you live, because this is such a sweet idea that if you are within a 500 mile radius from me I *might* just arrive on YOUR porch to eat one of these yummy dinners with you!!! SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I have been looking for a cook for dinners only and I live in California! If I lived closer you would be HIRED!!
    Great Great idea!!! LOVE THE NAME!! I wish dinner was on my porch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everybody! maybe one day I'll ship all over the country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guacamole, black bean & corn salad, and enchiladas were all wonderful!! What a great start to your business!

    ReplyDelete