Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm typing this on my phone, lying in the bed of a comfort suites hotel in Stratford Connecticut, trying to be quiet and not wake the three kids sharing this little home away from home. We are, once again, on the road. Our trip certainly involves fewer episodes of drug-induced psychedelic mayhem and more juice boxes than the book of the same name, so it probably wont be quite so fun to read.

Anyway, we left home on Friday and drove to Baltimore to visit my college roommate aerie & her two (almost three) boys who are exactly the same ages as Finn and Gus. It's perfect since we can sit and visit while the boys run wild. Ruby also loved aerie. Whenever I take ruby somewhere new, I always wonder if she's worried that the new place is where I'll be leaving her. After so much of that.transition in her life, it must at least cross her mind. Sometimes I can tell that she's not down with it, but at aerie's house, she was all "it's cool with me if you've gotta head out, mom." oddly, that makes me happy as I see how she also knows a kindred spirit when she meets one.

The next morning, we drove down to DC where matt "surprised" us by driving up while I was showing the kids the house I lived in during my awesome three years in that great town. The kids were excited to see him, of course, and we spent the next 24 hours seeing everything possible - the Air & Space museum, the zoo, the monents, etc. It was fun and brought back so many memories ( not that I did so much sight-seeing while living there, as I was too busy running around town having fun). I am really glad we enjoyed our visit to dc, because we paid for it when we left there at 2 pm, heading north on I-95 toward New Hampshire. But of course, to get to New Hampshire, you have to get through New York city. Unwisely, I left DC just in time to be driving through NYC at the same time every new yorker is trying to het back into the city after spending the weeking elsewhere. Which is how a four join drive from DC to new york turned into a 7+ hour tour of duty in highway hell. I had hoped to make it all the way to new Hampshire in one day, but we were done in ny the george Washington bridge and stopped at this motel in Connecticut. Love getting the kids out of the car late at night, rifling through oir junk in the dark to find the absolute essentials, checking in while pointlessly trying to keep the baby sleepy (never works), setting up the pack & play and then laying in a pitch black hotel room with three kids listening to the muffled tv show coming from the next room (and wishing I could hear it better or not at all).
So thats how it went, more to come as we quest on to the North!
(I wrote this Sunday morning on my iPhone & I'm posting it Tuesday night without correction the million typos - sorry! We made it to MH and when matt fets here torrow we're off again, so more from the road, hopefully.)

No comments:

Post a Comment