Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Laugh at myself

Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and think that you have just discovered the secret to life?  Or maybe not quite so dramatic, but you have a great idea and you think that you had better write it down so that you won't have forgotten it by the morning?  Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of a dream and think that it was such an awesome and interesting dream, that it would make a great novel.  But then when I wake Matt up to try to tell him about it, it just sounds like garbage.  "... then I was in this room, and there were like, chairs everywhere, and yet there wasn't anywhere to sit down, and then ..."

Anyway, I woke up one night while we were at Clear Lake, and I couldn't go back to sleep because my mind was racing with all of these great ideas for blog posts.  And, of course, we had no computer or internet connection, so I was really frustrated at 3 am thinking that my amazing ideas might just go back into the void of my brain never to see the light of the blog.  So, uncharacteristically, I got up to write down all of these fabulous ideas with the plan of writing about one idea every week or so, sort of dispensing my little pearls of wisdom about little by little, so as not to overwhelm anyone with my genius.  Well, just looking over this list here makes me cringe even though no one else can see it.

Let's just say that it appears that my best ideas do not come to me in the middle of the night.  I have one idea here that just says "John Calvin."  That would be the man who started the religious movement that would eventually lead the Puritans to come to the New World, thereby leading to the life we know today.  I am related to him, albeit distantly, but I'm not quite sure what my plan was for the blog.  Maybe an interesting discourse on the Puritan work ethic?  Maybe a history lesson?  No idea.  Another entry on my list just says "blogging:  throwing food at dinner guests."  That seems like one of those logic games where you have to figure out how the two are related - blogging is to throwing food at dinner guests as _________ is to painting your toenails.

So, sorry that my blogs will continue to be silly stories and pictures of my kids rather than life-altering gems of enlightenment.  I did, however, write down one thing that I thought was nice, but it was just a poem that was framed on the wall of the house we were sleeping in, so I can't even take credit.  It's an adoption poem,  but it was uncredited, so I'm not sure if it's some famous poem that I've never seen before or just something that someone made up and put on their wall.  It's at least better to share than my midnight flashes of craziness.

Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone,
But nevertheless, 
Still my own.
Never forget
for a single minute
You weren't born under my heart
but in it.    



2 comments:

  1. Claire- I love that you can laugh at yourself like this! I do the same thing- my middle of the night ideas always sound INCREDIBLE... but never hold up to the light of day. But the poem... now THAT'S good stuff. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that poem and LOVE the picture!!! I also love your blog... you always make me laugh. I'd gladly read your musings on John Calvin at 3 am! hee hee

    ReplyDelete