Wednesday, January 20, 2010

24 Days to Go!

We all arrived back safely from Houston last night, tired, but happy to be home.  The marathon was fun, hard, painful, exciting, inspiring, grueling, and we vowed we would never do another one (but Matt was on the computer last night at 12:30 informing me of upcoming marathons we could possibly enter!).  Anyway, with that under our belts, we are back and now have a million things to do before we leave.  I have been having major anxiety dreams lately, most of which involve losing Ruby somewhere, so I guess that's my subconscious trying to spur me on to get busy.  Matt and I are both people who tend to get things done only when the deadline is very close and there is alot of pressure, so neither one of us is good at spreading tasks out over a period of time to make them more manageable.  Thankfully, our adoption agency Gladney (www.gladney.org - the best!) has taken care of almost everything for us.  We just have to get ourselves, our kids and a thousand pounds of luggage over there, and they will deliver Ruby to us.  And then the fun begins!

Speaking of fun, and totally unrelated to adoption, we had a crazy night last night.  Now, you know I wouldn't want to be too graphic on a family blog like this, but let's just say that there was a major sex party at our house last night.  Unfortunately, the participants were raccoons.  We woke up around 3 am to hear as yet unidentified animals racing around the roof of our house.  After this went on for a while, I opened the blinds of the window right next to my bed, and staring me in the face was a giant raccoon.  Of course, I freaked, but the raccoon didn't flinch.  They are so creepy!  It just got closer to the window, and I felt like he was trying to figure out how to open it.  I made Matt close the blind, but then they circled around to the glass door that leads out of our bedroom to the upstairs deck.  At that point, the (multiple) males must have finally cornered the female and were having their way with her right up against the glass of the door.  It was horrifying.  This is not the kind of thing you picture when reading the childhood classic Wait Till the Moon Is Full with the cute little raccoons ice skating and playing baseball in the moonlight.  It's times like these that the treehouse nature of our house loses some of its appeal for me.

Ok, enough with the procrastinating, I have important things to do, lists to make, coffee to drink, children to rouse from bed.

More updates to come!

3 comments:

  1. Funny!!!! We are on wait list...if we get our referral before you go...maybe you could take some pics for us???? (positive thinking here....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, just let me know! we'd also be happy to take a little package for you if you get your referral soon! good luck,
    claire

    ReplyDelete