Thursday, February 11, 2010

1-2 Days to Go, Depending on How You Count!

So tomorrow is the big day.  At the moment, there are seven open suitcases all over the house, countless little baggies of random items I need to pack, and the dining room table is covered with clean laundry (but that's not all that unusual).  We leave from Charlotte tomorrow night at 6 pm on a direct flight to London, so basically, we're under 24 hours to go.  (As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that home security experts would probably urge me not to be quite so specific!)  All of this packing and organizing seems to be taking the place of all of that pre-delivery stress and nesting I experienced with each of the boys, and here I thought I was skipping all of that misery by adopting!

Today was Finn's "Sing" at school - the first and second grade put on a performance they have been working on for a while, and then theme was America.  They had learned many patriotic songs, as well as the songs for each of the Armed Forces.  It was very moving and sweet, and I was so proud of Finn up there singing his heart out.  
There is is getting ready to sing - so cute, and I especially like how the picture captured first graders being so bizarre & funny, as they all are, all around him.

Anyway, so it was a really normal, good day here, but when I was hugging Gus goodnight tonight, I told him that this would be the last night that we would go to be in our beds just the four of us.  Next time we all sleep here, Ruby will be in her crib (hopefully, although more likely in our bed).  Gus was super-happy with that idea, and snuggled down to imagine his new life as a big brother, but I have to admit that I was a little emotional.  For all of our ups and downs, and for as sure as we feel that we're doing the right thing, I feel like we've had a pretty good run of it with just the four of us.  I'm pretty used to their little ways, and I know it will take a little while to shuffle everyone around in the new configuration.  I remember feeling this way before Gus was born too, like he was going to be a little spoiler in the love affair we had going with Finny, but then, of course, he wasn't.  (In full disclosure, for a little while Finny was really mad, and he is still pretty abusive to Gus on occasion, but they love each other to death and play and gang up on us just like brothers are supposed to do, so I think it worked out okay.)  It's just that change is a little scary, even good change, just because it's not like it was before.  So, I'm just having a little goodbye to our old life before we take off on this adventure.  I think that's okay though, because at the same time I'm a little nostalgic, I can't wait one more minute to scoop up this baby and get her back here to start the next chapter.   

Here we go ...

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time! As a mom with 2 boys and now a girl-it is wonderful!! They will be so protective of little Ruby. I hope we can meet her soon!
    I will be thinking of you and can't wait for your next update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete