Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring break - Day 2

Ah, the Zoo.  Such a lovely idea & sure to be a hit with the kids.  Right?  Well, actually, we did have a great day at the zoo, so I really need to control my sarcastic, bad-mother side and just appreciate that no one ended up in the alligator swamp.  But ...

So, our day started miraculously early.  I was trying to leave the house by 8, but it was actually 9, which I didn't think was too bad.  Especially if you consider that I had fed all the kids, cut up a watermelon, packed drinks and snacks and extra clothes, diapers, the camera - with the battery charged(!), and even had on make-up.  So, off to the zoo.  Well, right after a quick detour through the district court of Winston-Salem.

Matt had gotten a ticket a few months back for having an expired registration, and then somehow with everything else going on, the court date snuck up on us and he already had a million surgeries scheduled and I think you can see where that is going to end.  Yesterday, when Finn, Ruby and I went down to the courthouse to see if we could sort it out a day early, they told me that I had to come back, but that it was a "walk through" court and the judge would dismiss it quickly.  Not so much.  In hindsight, I realize that I should have known that there would be two hundred people in line with me, but I think I was keeping that reality in a dark corner of my mind.  The "judge" - a guy wearing a red baseball hat and khaki pants, did dismiss the ticket, but only after we waited in a horrendous line in a tiny room for close to two hours.  I told Finn that he should feel lucky that we weren't at Disney World or we'd be spending alot more time in lines like that.  So that made us all feel better.  Of course, Ruby was a big attraction for all the good folks down at the courthouse.  Since she is still pretty indiscriminate with her affection, she made the rounds to all the other delinquents, holding her arms up so they could pick her up.  Everyone was really nice, but it's just a little weird to have your child seem as happy to be held by some random toothless person as she is by me.  Oh well, lucky for me we'll never see most of those people again, so Ruby will have to be satisfied with us.

So off to the zoo by 11, arriving at lunch time, beautiful weather and another family to hang out with.  Aside from the fact that it's exhausting to lug all the stuff around for everyone and the kids kept trying to crawl into Ruby's stroller, things were good.  Finn only asked me one time why I always have to be so mean, so that's pretty fair.  And, once I explained why I was being so mean, I think he understood.  There are only so many times I can be patient when a certain person leans on the handlebars of a stroller - an empty stroller - and the whole thing comes crashing over backwards spilling everything out of my diaper bag and $2.99 Sprite onto the ground.  Yes, it was an accident, but really, I'm not a saint.  Ruby was pretty much a dream during the whole day.  She loved the otters and the turtles, and she worked on trying to say various words.  She napped, she pooped, she ate.  Pretty, happy girl.

Tomorrow is "Art Camp" here at the house, and we're ready with fingerpaint, canvas, feathers and glitter glue.  I will post pictures of anything that I would consider selling.

Ruby resting at the zoo.  Notice her "zoo" dress!


Gus is happy doing anything so long as there are refreshments.


The otters were so entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment