Monday, April 26, 2010

Random Things, Part II: "What I Know for Sure ..."

Not much.  Oprah, (if you are reading this) you know I have your back about almost everything (except when you were so mean to James Frey), but I don't really think it makes sense to talk about knowing anything "for sure."  The older I get, the more I realize that if I think about anything long enough, there are so many different angles and knotty issues that I can't just issue an absolute judgment on anything.  

Having children has made this especially clear, as it seems that all of the things I "knew" I would do or let my kids do or not do have proven to be a lot more "flexible" than I planned.  There have been times I have felt smug, or looked at another person's child and thought "never," only to find myself eating my words and thoughts in short order.  I seem to have to keep learning the lesson that being judgmental is not a good game plan, because I still find myself doing it all the time.  Recently, for obvious reasons, I have also been thinking about adoption and what I thought I knew about that before we went through this process.  I have found that even the most basic presumptions that I thought I "knew" - "adoption is a good thing," for instance, have been challenged in different and difficult ways.  That's not to say that there can't be things that hold true for individuals, and adoption has been a good thing for us, so I don't want to leave the impression that I regret adopting Ruby, but I have certainly had to rethink alot of things.  

There is so much - too much to get into now or even in 2060, that it turns out I was wrong about, that I think I can safely say that the one thing I know for sure is that I don't really know anything for sure.  (Actually, I am sure that it's really tacky to wear high heels with short-shorts - even if you have really good legs, and there might be one or two other things like that I can think of ...)

3 comments:

  1. I hear you... I can't begin to list the number of things I have had to re-think or eat my words about since I had children! And even so far in our adoption journey I have had some ideas challenged - I know it is far from over.

    I can't wait till 2060 when we get to hear your entire thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true.The older I get the less I know. About anything. I was just reading a blog yesterday by a black adult adoptee who said that she didn't think white people should adopt black children. !!! What the what the??? What am I supposed to do with that information???

    Just a small (and bad) example, but I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your blog! I'll be waiting for 2060 so I can hear more of your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete