Thursday, May 13, 2010

Not Done:

So, my experiment with a pared-down to do list worked really well.  By the end of the day, I felt really happy with all that I had accomplished, as I had gone beyond my list to make a nice dinner for my family, fold at least 5 loads of laundry, and get in a quick run.  I totally killed it that day.  However.  The problem with making a To Do list that makes you feel good but fails to capture the volume of things that you in fact need to do is that two days later you realize that those things you didn't write down didn't just magically disappear.  They still need to be done.

Well, as it turns out, I can't just start with a clean slate, clear of obligations and duties, even if I really feel like it.  And so many of the things that creep onto my To Do lists turn out to be things that keep me tied to my friends, my family and the life I want our family to lead.  Sure, a trip to Target to buy a birthday present is certainly not high on my list of fun ways to spend time.  And sorting though baskets of toys that have become jumbled beyond recognition makes me want a beer almost immediately, but those are just the little pieces of a big puzzle of our lives that include lots of birthday parties with friends big and small, a house where I can send my kids to play in the basement and figure they can find something to do that will buy me a few minutes of peace and quiet, and good meals together, kids who are happily involved in sports and activities they enjoy, a place to lie down at night that doesn't make our skin itch in the morning.  So, yes, laundry must be done, snacks for the soccer team purchased, calls returned, invitations extended, bills paid, closets occasionally addressed.  And if I can't get a warm feeling at the end of the day from checking off every single thing on my list, so be it.  There's always red wine and sweaty hugs from little people.

1 comment: